The Gateway Ringers
Photo by Chris Amos
Art for Gateway Ringers logo by Ron Kilkenny
Mouseover to see who's who, click to jump to biography
- * Kim Amos
is a charter member of the Gateway Ringers. She has been
ringing bells since 1981 and has rung in groups in Missouri, Illinois,
Tennessee, and Germany. Kim is a doula (professional labor and
birth support) and childbirth educator. She is married to Chris,
has two children, Sarah and Bryan, a son-in-law, Bryan, a daughter-in-law, Tess, and grandsons Thomas, Liam, and Declan. Kim is
currently serving as Secretary on Gateway's Executive Committee.
- Marcia Barber has been ringing handbells since 1985
in various church and community choirs. She began ringing with the Gateway Ringers
in the fall of 2007. Since retiring, Marcia spends her time volunteering for various organizations.
Marcia lives with her husband, Jim, in St. Charles and also enjoys reading novels.
- Peter Dahlstrom Peter Dahlstrom- started playing bells at age ten in the church bellchoir that his mother directed. He was lucky enough to have a bell choir at his high school and performed with them at the International Handbell Symposium in 1992. Peter started playing with the Gateway ringers in 2002, but had a 6 year hiatus while he was living in Germany. Peter returned to the group in the fall of 2015. He is a horn player in the USAF Band of Mid-America, stationed at Scott AFB. Peter and his wife, Stacie, love spending time with their daughter Josephine.
- * Andy Eversole
has been ringing handbells since 1990 and is a charter member of the group. His musical family
includes his wife, Patty, a Suzuki piano & trumpet
teacher, and three musical children: Matthew
(clarinet & saxophone), Kristen (flute & saxophone) and
Ryan (vocal & violin). Andy daylights as an electrical
engineer at Boeing. Andy is
currently serving as President on Gateway's Executive Committee.
- Mopsi Hanley joined us in January, 2008. Mopsi is a
retired CPA. She started ringing bells as a charter member of St. Martinís Episcopal
Church handbell choir in 2002. She is married to Jack. They have two daughters
and four grandchildren. And no, "Mopsi" isnít her given name. Itís Martha Anne.
- Don Hayman wears the most
bizarre shirts of anyone on the face of this
planet, and as such is forbidden to take a role
on the concert dress committee. Don enjoys torturing bells of all sizes,
specializing in March Malleting Madness, and is
the proud keeper of Gurney, the official Gateway
Dancing Rubber Chicken. Don is married to Wanda, our
- Carla Hoppe joined Gateway in January 2010. Carla is
currently searching the wilds of St. Louis for her biography. If you've seen it, contact us at Carla's Lost and Found.
- Trish Jackson is in her 2nd stint with Gateway, rejoining the group in the Fall of 2011. She is currently serving as member-at-large on Gateway's Executive Committee.
- June Jones officially joined in January 2006. She is music
at St. Thomas UCC in Chesterfield. June works at St. Johns Mercy Medical Center; is
married to Craig and has a daughter Molly and a son Tim.
- * Peggy
"Carillon" Lohnes is a
Charter Member of Gateway Ringers. She retired from ringing in 2011, and currently
serves as the group's Financial Manager. She has
been ringing bells since the early 1980's. Peggy is a Tax Advisor at Block Advisors,
is married to Bill, has three sons, three wonderful daughters-in-law, and
four beautiful granddaughters.
- Ruth McDonnell joined us in the fall of 2007.
Ruth is a deaconess in The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod and is currently writing her
PhD dissertation on images for the resurrection in hymns. She has a master's
degree in theology from Concordia Seminary - St. Louis and a bachelor's
degree in music education from James Madison University in Virginia. As
member of the American Guild of English Handbell Ringers, she has served on
national and area boards. Ruth was a founding member of the Magic of Bronze,
a community handbell choir in Orlando, which she directed until moving to
St. Louis in 2003. Ruth has taught handbell techniques and conducting at
numerous workshops and has conducted massed ringing at festivals. She is
also an avid solo ringer and flutist.
- Kaitlyn Meier began ringing in a children's tone chime choir
over 15 years ago at St. Paul's UCC and joined Gateway in 2012. She has since graduated from
Maryville University and has become a board-certified Music Therapist. Kaitlyn spends her days using music as a therapeutic
agent with geriatric and hospice patients.
- Amanda Morgan joined us in January, 2008. She is a
graduate of Southeast Missouri State University, and currently works as a Service Rep
for AT&T. Amanda has been ringing handbells since the early 1990's for several different
groups, and is currently ringing with St. Paul's United Church of Christ.
- Angela Ohmie joined us in January, 2016. She graduated from Concordia River Forest, and has taught in the 2nd-4th grades and elementary music. She previously rang in the Kansas City handbell ensemble Rezound! Angela now enjoys caring for her three young daughters, spending time with her husband, and helping out with the music at her church, Emmaus Lutheran in St. Louis.
- Diane Stout joined the group in January, 2004. She rings
bells and sings in the choir at Holy Cross Lutheran Church, St. Louis, and works for the Lutheran Association for Special
Education. Diane and her husband, Dennis, enjoy spending time with their three children and five grandchildren.
- Tim Way joined us in the fall of 2015.
- Jeff White
joined the Gateway Ringers in the Fall of 1999. He has been ringing handbells since 1983 and conducting bell choirs since 1986. He is the associate music director and organist at Historic Trinity Lutheran Church in the Soulard district of St. Louis. He has a Master of Church Music degree with an emphasis in Organ from Concordia University Wisconsin. He is a certified Colleague of the American Guild of Organists (www.agohq.org) and a member of the St. Louis Chapter of the Guild (www.agostlouis.org). During the day, Jeff is a business analyst at Mastercard. Jeff is currently serving as a member-at-large on Gateway's Executive Committee, and is the Missouri Chair for the Handbell Musicians of America Area VIII.
- * Carl Zimmerman is a charter member of The
Gateway Ringers. He began ringing handbells more than 35 years ago, when
the church he attended was given a two octave set - his expertise on tower
bells led to his being drafted as the first director of a brand new handbell
choir, so all learned together. Since then he has rung in or directed several
other handbell choirs, especially at his church home for over 30 years -
Webster Groves Presbyterian. He is a retired USAF weather officer, a retired
computer systems analyst, the Webmaster for TowerBells.org,
a tenor in the St.Louis
Symphony Chorus and his church choir, and the expert to consult on the history and work of bellfounders
in St.Louis. He and his wife are parents of two and grandparents of six.
|Wim Blees (1995-1997)
||Mark W. Lawson (1997-2003)
||Nancy Helmich (2004-2007)
||* Jan Blees
||* Wim Blees (Founder)
||* Janice Hitchcock
||* Sally Johnson
|* Karl Kay
||* Dub Koon
||* Allison Nalesnik
||* Georgia O'Brien
|* Candy Parson
|* Marcia Worcester
||Gurney the Gateway Chicken
Last Update: 11/13/2016